Virginia Appraisal Continuing Education Online
Simplify your VA license renewal with AQB-approved courses from our online appraiser school
This package includes:
- 2020-2021 7-Hour Equivalent USPAP Update Course - Issues commonly found in appraisal practice are addressed in multi-media scenarios that answer appraisers' frequently asked questions.
- Appraisal Math and Statistics - This course covers appraisal mathematical functions including calculating area, appraisal statistics, and mathematics of finance.
2020-2021 7-Hour Equivalent USPAP Update Course
Appraisal Math and Statistics
The information contained below is designed to provide a summary of the minimum education, experience, and examination requirements established by the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation - Virginia Real Estate Appraiser Board. The information provided below can be found on the Board’s website. However, we recommend you contact the Board for more detailed information and for any changes which may have occurred.
Virginia Appraisal Licensure Levels:
- Appraiser Trainee
- Licensed Real Estate Appraiser
- Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser
- Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
Virginia Appraisal Licensure Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Must be of good moral character
- Must meet the educational requirement for the applying level of licensure
- Must meet the experience requirement for the applying level of licensure
- For Certified Residential level: A minimum of an Associates Degree OR 21 college semester hours in specific subject matters is also required.
- For Certified General level: A minimum of a Bachelors Degree OR 30 college semester hours in specific subject matters is also required.
- Satisfactory completion of the state examination
- Submit application, required documents, and associated fees
Virginia Appraisal Education Requirements:
- 75 hours for the Appraiser Trainee which consist of the following courses: Basic Appraisal Principles (30 hours), Basic Appraisal Procedures (30 hours),15 Hour National USPAP Course or its equivalent (15 hours)
- 150 hours for the Licensed Appraiser which include the same hour requirement as the Appraiser Trainee level AND: Residential Market Analysis and Highest and Best Use (15 hours), Residential Appraiser Site Valuation and Cost Approach (15 hours), Residential Report Writing and Case Studies (15 Hours), Residential Sales Comparison and Income Approach (30 hours)
- 200 Hours for the Certified Residential Appraiser which consist of the same 150 hours of Licensed Appraiser education AND: Statistics, Modeling and Finance (15 hours), Advanced Residential Application and Case Studies (15 hours), Appraisal Subject Matter Electives (20 hours)
- 300 hours for the Certified General Appraiser which includes the same 200 hours for the Certified Residential Appraiser education AND: Income Property Appraisal (60 hours), General Appraiser Report Writing and Case Studies (10 hours), General Appraiser Market Analysis and Highest and Best Use (15 hours)
- Appraiser Trainee – No experience required
- Licensed Appraiser – 2000 hours in no less than 12 months
- Certified Residential Appraiser – 2500 hours in no less than 24 months
- Certified General Appraiser – 3000 hours in no less than 30 months with at least 1500 hours of experience in non-residential appraisals
Virginia Appraisal Continuing Education Requirements:
- All licenses expire 2 years from the last day of the month which they were issued
- All licensees must complete 28 hours of continuing education during the two year cycle
- 7 hours must cover the USPAP Update course or its equivalent must be taken every other year