Learn about the Texas education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC)
Texas Real Estate Education Requirements:
- Texas real estate salesperson license: 180 hours of pre-licensing education
- Texas real estate broker license: 900 hours of pre-licensing education (This includes 270 hours in qualifying mandatory plus 630 hours of related qualifying or elective CE. Or an applicant who has earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university will be deemed to have satisfied the related qualifying education requirements for a broker license. A copy of the college transcript awarding the degree must be submitted as evidence of completion of the degree.)
- Final exams: Texas Real Estate Commission requires that your final course exam be proctored for qualifying education.
- Texas also requires 98 hours of post-licensing education.
Many students take advantage of exam prep tailored for Texas, to give them a higher chance of passing.
Texas State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
Texas, however, does not have reciprocal agreements with any other state.
For more information on reciprocity, view our complete guide.
Texas Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in Texas must renew their real estate licenses every two years in the month their licenses were received
- Sales Apprentice Education (SAE): Licensees renewing for the first time must have a total of 270 qualifying real estate course hours along with 4 hours in Legal Update I and 4 hours in Legal Update II. The 6-hour Broker Responsibility Course is also required as part of the SAE hours for sales agents who have been made a supervisor by their broker.
- Licensees must complete 18 hours of real estate CE classes in each two-year cycle
- This includes 4 hours of TREC Legal Update I, 4 hours of TREC Legal Update II, 3 hours of contract-related coursework (effective 2/1/2021), and 7 hours of elective CE
- The 6-hour Broker Responsibility Course is also required as part of the 18 hours for license holders who have sponsored one or more sales agents, served as the designated broker for a business entity broker that sponsored sales agents, or have been made a supervisor of other license holders.