South Carolina Real Estate License Requirements
Learn about the South Carolina education requirements for licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation - South Carolina Real Estate Commission
South Carolina Real Estate Education Requirements:
- South Carolina real estate salesperson license: 90 hours (60-hour unit I sales course and 30-hour unit II advanced real estate principles course) Note: Those with a law degree or a four-year baccalaureate degree from a higher education institution with a major in real estate do not have to take these prelicense courses.
- South Carolina real estate broker license: 60 additional hours
South Carolina State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
South Carolina currently has reciprocal agreements with Georgia and West Virginia. Applicants from these states must:
- Be a resident of the reciprocal state from which they are applying
- Have taken the written exam in the reciprocal state from which they are applying
- Maintain an active license in the reciprocal state from which they are applying
- Upload a certification of licensure from the real estate regulatory authority where any current or previous license was held within the last five years
A nonresident broker license may not be granted to an applicant unless that applicant is affiliated with a resident or nonresident broker in charge licensed by the South Carolina real estate commission. A nonresident broker has the option of applying for a Broker in Charge designation by supplying the name of the real estate company they will operate and the location of the company. If a nonresident licensee who receives a South Carolina license by reciprocity becomes a resident, they need to notify the Real Estate Commission of a change in residency within 60 days of the change of address.
South Carolina Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in South Carolina must renew their real estate licenses every two years by June 30
- Licensees must complete 8 hours of real estate CE, including 4 hours of core education
- The 4-hour core course for this renewal cycle is TRID Safely