Learn about the New Jersey education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: State of New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance – NJ Real Estate Commission
New Jersey Real Estate Education Requirements:
- New Jersey real estate salesperson license: 75 hours of pre-licensing education
- New Jersey real estate broker license: 150 hours of pre-licensing education
Many students take advantage of exam prep tailored for their state, to give them a higher chance of passing.
New Jersey State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
New Jersey does not have reciprocity with any other state.
For more information on reciprocity, view our complete guide.
New Jersey Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in New Jersey need to renew their licenses by June 30 of odd-numbered years
- NOTICE: Renewal due date is extended until 7/19/2021
- Licensees need to complete real estate CE courses by April 30 or licensees will incur a $200 fine
- NOTICE: CE due date is extended until 5/31/2021
- Licensees must take 12 hours of real estate CE classes, including 1 hour of Fair Housing, 2 hours of ethics, and 3 hours of CORE. The remaining 6 hours is elective which can include a mix, or all of the same, of any of the following three CE types: ELECTIVES or ETHICS or CORE or FAIR HOUSING.