Learn about the Minnesota real estate education needs for licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Minnesota Department of Commerce – Real Estate License
Minnesota Real Estate License Requirements:
- Minnesota real estate salesperson license: 90 hours of pre-licensing education (Applicants need to complete three courses, each of which consists of 30 hours of instruction)
- Minnesota real estate broker license: 30 hours of pre-licensing education (At least three years of licensed real estate salesperson experience in Minnesota or another state with comparable requirements within the five years prior to the date of application for the broker’s examination)
Many students take advantage of exam prep tailored for their state, to give them a higher chance of passing.
Minnesota State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
Minnesota has reciprocal relationships with Colorado, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
Those with active licenses in one of these reciprocal states must:
- Complete the 30 hour broker course
- Have at least 3 years of licensed real estate salesperson experience within the past 5 years (If this experience was obtained in a capacity not requiring a Minnesota real estate license, you must first submit a request for a waiver of salesperson experience)
- Email a letter of certification (no more than 90 days old) documenting that you are currently licensed as a broker and reside in Colorado, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wisconsin (Applicants with an active Wisconsin license must also email course completion certificates documenting completion of a Minnesota broker course of at least 13 hours and must email original passing results for the Minnesota State Laws portion of the written examination)
For more information on reciprocity, view our complete guide.
Minnesota Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Minnesota real estate professionals must renew their licenses every two years by June 30
- Minnesota licensees must take 30 hours of real estate CE every year by June 30