Learn about the Massachusetts real estate education needs for licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation – Board of Registration of Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons
Massachusetts Real Estate License Requirements:
- Massachusetts real estate salesperson license: 40 hours
- Massachusetts real estate broker license: 40 hours
Massachusetts State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
Massachusetts has reciprocal relationships with the following states: Connecticut, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Nebraska, Iowa, Tennessee, Mississippi, Colorado, Georgia, Pennsylvania and New Mexico. Additionally, salespersons and brokers who have been licensed for two years in Oklahoma have complete reciprocity, as do brokers licensed for two years in New York.
Licensees from New Hampshire (both salespersons and brokers) must apply for an educational waiver that allows the applicant to take only the Massachusetts State portion of the examination without completing the Massachusetts prelicense education. Maine brokers who have been licensed for three years and active salespersons from all other states must apply for the educational waiver as well.
Massachusetts Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in Massachusetts need to renew their real estate licenses every two years from the date of the licensee’s birthday
- Massachusetts requires 12 hours of real estate CE
- All of these hours are electives, however Massachusetts’ Board of Registration specifies the appropriate elective topics