Learn about the Maine real estate education requirements for licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: State of Maine Professional & Financial Regulations Real Estate Commission
Maine Real Estate License Requirements:
- Maine real estate salesperson license: 55 hours of pre-licensing education
- Maine real estate broker license: 60 hours for an associate broker and 50 hours for a designated broker
- To apply to become an associate broker in Maine, an applicant must have been licensed as an active sales agent affiliated with a real estate brokerage for two years, with five years of experience.
- To apply to become a designated broker in Maine, an applicant must have been an associate broker affiliated with a real estate brokerage agency for two years within the past five years. Completion of a designated broker course with a minimum final grade of 75% is also required.
Many students use exam prep tailored just for Maine, to help their chances of passing their first time.
Main State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
In Maine, an equal license may be issued to any person who holds a current and active real estate license in another jurisdiction after meeting the requirements for the license.
These requirements include completing a license application, holding a high school diploma and being at least 18 years old. Additionally, those applying for reciprocity will need to pass the Maine law examination administered by Pearson VUE and furnish their certificate of licensure from their home state, showing the applicant holds a current and active license.
Note: An application for a license must be made within one year of passing the Maine law exam.
For more information about reciprocity, see our complete guide.
Maine Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in Maine need to renew their real estate licenses every two years from the date their licenses were issued.
- Maine requires 21 hours of real estate CE classes, including 18 hours of electives and a 3-hour core course, the topic for which changes every two years or so.