Florida Real Estate License Requirements
Learn about the Florida education needs for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Department of Business & Professional Regulation Florida Real Estate Commission (FREC)
Florida Real Estate Education Requirements:
- Florida real estate salesperson license: 63 hours
- Florida real estate broker license: 72 hours
- Florida also requires 45 hours of post-license classes for salespersons and 60 hours for brokers
- If you hold a 4 year degree, or higher, in real estate you may be exempt from the pre-license education requirement. To determine exemption eligibility, you may send an original certified transcript with cover letter to: Division of Real Estate, Attention: Education Section, 400 West Robinson Street, Suite N801 Orlando, Florida 32801.
Florida State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
Florida has mutual recognition agreements with multiple states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Mississippi, Nebraska, and Rhode Island. Mutual recognition allows out-of-state licensees to apply as a sales associate or broker in Florida exempting them from the pre-license education requirement.
They are still required, however, to take the 40-question Florida Laws section of the state exam.
Florida Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in Florida need to renew their licenses by March 31st or September 30, every 2 years.
- The renewal date that applies to you depends on when you initially took your licensing exam and should be indicated on your real estate license. By this date, licensees need to complete 14 hours of real estate CE, consiting of:
- 8 hours of specialty credit
- 3 hours dedicated to an update of Florida laws
- 3 hours of an ethics and business practices course
- These courses may be conducted in a classroom or via a distance education provider