District of Columbia Real Estate License Requirements
Learn about the District of Columbia education needs for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: District of Columbia Real Estate Commission (PearsonVUE)
District of Columbia Real Estate Education Requirements:
- District of Columbia real estate salesperson license: 60 hours of salesperson education
- District of Columbia real estate broker license: 135 hours of broker pre-license education (as well as 2 years of experience as a salesperson)
District of Columbia State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
The District of Columbia has entered into reciprocal agreements with Virginia (concerning brokers or salespersons currently licensed there) and Maryland (concerning all brokers currently licensed there and salespersons licensed there after 1996).
District of Columbia Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- District of Columbia real estate salespersons must renew their real estate licenses by August 31 of odd-numbered years
- District of Columbia rReal estate brokers must renew their real estate licenses by February 28 odd-numbered years
- For the 2017–2019 licensing cycle, real estate professionals must take 15 hours of real estate courses. This includes:
- 3 hours of Fair Housing
- 3 hours of DC Legislative Update
- 3 hours of Ethics
- 6 hours of general electives