Learn about the Colorado education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA)
Colorado Real Estate Education Requirements:
- Colorado real estate salesperson license: N/A
- Colorado real estate broker license: 168 hours of qualifying education comprised of mandatory courses required by the Colorado Real Estate Commission
- 48 hours of Real Estate Law & Practice
- 48 hours of Colorado Contracts and Regulations
- 8 hours of Trust Accounts and Record Keeping
- 8 hours of Current Legal Issues
- 32 hours of Practical Applications
Substitution: A degree from an accredited degree-granting college or university with a major course of study in real estate. Original transcripts must be provided upon application. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted to the Division for review prior to taking the broker’s exam.
Colorado State Reciprocity:
If you hold a real estate license in one of the 49 states, Colorado will accept your application for licensure with limited examination and or pre-license education.
Applicants who hold a non-expired license in another jurisdiction for at least two years and desire employing-level certification need to complete the 24-hour Broker Administration course.
Applicants with an expired license or who have been actively license for less than two years will need the following:
- Salesperson: 120 hours including 48 hours Colorado Contracts & Regulations, 8 hours Trust Accounts & Recordkeeping, 8 hours Current Legal Issues, 24 hours Real Estate Closings, and 32 hours Practical Applications
- Broker: 72 hours including 48 hours Colorado Contracts & Regulations, and 24 hours Real Estate Closings
Colorado Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
Real estate broker licenses in Colorado need to be renewed every three years from the date the license is issued. To renew, licensees need to complete:
- 24 hours of real estate CE
- 12 hours need to be the Annual Commission Update course*, 4 hours taken each year for 3 years
*4-hour Annual Commission Update course not offered through Mbition Learn Real Estate