Alabama Real Estate License Requirements
Learn about the Alabama education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Alabama Real Estate Commission (AREC)
Alabama Real Estate Education Requirements:
- Alabama real estate salesperson license: 60 hours
- Alabama real estate broker license: 60 hours + hold an active real estate salesperson license in any state for at least 24 months of 36-month period immediately preceding the date of application.
- Students in Alabama have 6 months to pass the state exam after completing the course.
- Alabama requires an additional 30 hours post-license real estate course within the first 6 months of licensure for active licensees and within 12 months for inactive licensees for the salesperson license
- Final exams: Your final course exam must be proctored for qualifying education
- Completed applications, all additional materials, and fees MUST be complete and submitted to the Alabama Real Estate Commission within 90 days of your license examination date
If you hold an original current license in another state, you may obtain a RECIPROCAL license by doing the following:
- Complete a six‐hour course in Alabama real estate law as specified in Rule 790‐X‐1‐.18
- Take and pass the corresponding Alabama portion of the licensing examination
- Submit with the application an official "Certificate of Licensure" form (license history) showing you hold a current license in another state. This certification can be obtained from the Real Estate Commission Office in that state. This certification must have been issued within 120 days of our receipt of your reciprocal license application.
- Exam candidates will receive an application for licensure at the test centers upon passage of the exam
Alabama Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Continuing education hours must be completed by September 30th of even years (every two years)
- Requirement is 15 hours: 3 hours of the Commission-approved Risk Management course and 12 hours of Commission-approved courses