Learn about the Iowa education requirements for real estate licensing and renewal.
Licensing Board/Commission: Iowa Professional Licensing Bureau
Iowa Real Estate Education Requirements:
- Iowa real estate salesperson license: 60 hours online and 36 hours classroom only
- Iowa real estate broker license: 72 hours
Iowa State Reciprocity:
Real estate commissions and boards across the country are adopting policies for a real estate agent in one state to more easily become licensed in another state.
Iowa has reciprocal relationships with Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Dakota and West Virginia.
Active real estate license holders from these states can apply for reciprocity if they will have their Iowa license assigned by the same real estate company that holds their current real estate license.
Iowa Real Estate Continuing Education (CE) and License Renewal Requirements:
- Real estate professionals in Iowa must renew their licenses by December 31 every three years
- By that date, licensees must complete 36 hours of real estate CE classes, including 24 hours of electives and 12 hours of core courses
- Of the 36 hours, only 24 can be taken as online classes — the core coursework is comprised of 4 hours on ethics and 8 hours of legal updates