Who Can Apply for an Alabama State License?
There are a few things you should know about applying for a license within the state of Alabama. Every state has different requirements you must comply with according to the laws and regulations specific to your state. To learn more about how to get a real estate license in Alabama, you can always refer to the state’s official website here. For those wishing to acquire a license, the stipulations are as follows:
- Applicant must be at least 19 years old
- Applicant must be a US citizen or legal alien
- You must have obtained a highschool diploma, GED, or equivalent
If these qualifications already apply to you, you’re ready to begin the application process.
Step-by-Step Path to Obtaining an Alabama State License
Here are the five steps you’ll need to complete in order to get a real estate license in Alabama. Once you have completed these steps, the AREC will issue you a temporary salesperson’s license, allowing you to practice a real estate career under the guidance of a qualifying real estate broker. Within six months of completing additional requirements after passing your exam, you’ll be issued a permanent license. Here’s how to get a real estate license in Alabama:
- 1) The first step is to earn your 60 hours of pre-license course credits. To do this, you’ll need to find real estate classes in Alabama approved by the AREC, and we’ve helped thousands to complete this coursework. Our basic package is called the Alabama Real Estate Pre-licensing Silver Solution and includes the MathMaster study tool, full of real-world math problems relevant to real estate, as well as ongoing instructor support from industry experts who are on standby to answer any questions you may have.
If you’re especially ambitious and want to increase your chances of success, Mbition also offers two alternative packages: the Alabama Real Estate Pre-Licensing Gold Solution or the Platinum Solution. These packages supply you with supplemental study tools and even more exam prep materials. The best feature these packages offer is that they include a money-back guarantee if you don’t pass the exam on your first try!
- 2) The real estate exam is a critical step along the way to receiving your license and you’ll want to put your very best effort into preparing for the day you’ll be taking it. Mbition offers real estate classes in Alabama that provide you with a resource called the Alabama Master Exam Prep Package, which comes complete with a personalized study plan, flashcards to use as you review national real estate terms, an introduction to agencies, contracts, finance and law, as well as useful tips to consider when taking the test.
With this resource, you’ll be well-equipped to master each question you come across on the exam. You’ll be reassured to know that we extend our money-back guarantee to each prospective agent who purchases out study materials from Mbition. Having helped over 750,000 real estate professionals to pass their exams with flying colors, we’re confident that we can do the same for you!
- 3) Now that you’ve reached this point, it’s time to schedule your exam! You can schedule and pay for the exam through the proctored testing service called Psychological Services, Inc, or by calling them at (833) 892-5441.
Here’s what you need to know as you prepare to take this step:
- The exam consists of a mix of both national and state-specific questions
- You must pass with a 70% or higher
- You will have 3 ½ hours to complete the exam
- You’ll need to bring two forms of ID and may use a simple calculator
You can expect to see questions on topics such as license requirements, broker licenses and trust funds, to name a few. Having put in the time and made use of all that Mbition has to offer, you’ll be able to take the test with confidence!
- 4) With the test behind you, you’re ready to apply for your license! You’ll want to do so within 90 days of passing the exam. If you’re ready to practice immediately following the exam, you’re eligible to receive your pre-license immediately, provided you are sponsored by a qualifying broker as previously arranged. If you are not yet ready to launch your real estate career, you can apply for an inactive license until you’re ready to transition to an active status. The cost of an active license is $210 and an inactive license will cost you $180.
The second part of this step involves applying for a temporary real estate license. Here are the documents you’ll need to send to the AREC when submitting your application:
- A criminal history record information (CHRI), or background check, including fingerprints. This document is only good for 30 days, so plan ahead and schedule accordingly.
- Proof of age
- Proof of citizenship
- A copy of your high school diploma or equivalent
- Proof of residence
- 5) In the state of Alabama, applicants must fulfill 30 additional hours of real estate education within the first six months of passing the exam. This is necessary in order to qualify for a permanent real estate license, although your pre-license status will allow you to start practicing real estate right away. After submitting these hours to the AREC, you will be able to move forward as a real estate professional! Congratulations! You made it!
Alabama’s Post-license Continuing Education Requirement
Each state within the US requires their real estate agents to renew their licenses periodically. In the state of Alabama, this must be done every even year by the end of September and requires that you complete 15 hours of real estate education, including the mandatory 3 credit hours in Risk Management. This ongoing education will keep you current on all real estate practices such as short sales, foreclosures, and tax advantages of home ownership. If you’re looking for real estate classes in Alabama that can offer these courses, Mbition is here for you!
Upgrading Your License as a Real Estate Broker in Alabama
Often, those who pursue their real estate license decide later on to upgrade by becoming either a principal broker, home appraiser, or home inspector. Our real estate classes in Alabama are custom designed to help you navigate whatever real-world scenarios come your way regarding any of these options. You’ll enjoy working at your own pace and relying on our support team to give you the ongoing direction and resources you need. If you’re looking to advance your real estate career, you’re in good company! Over 750,000 others have made the choice to depend on Mbition for all of their licensing needs.